Governor Gavin Newson has issued an executive order calling on all non-essential events and gatherings of more than 250 people to be canceled or postponed until the end of March. This executive order also:
- Waives the one-week waiting period for people who are unemployed and/or disabled as a result of COVID-19;
- Delays the deadline for state tax filing by 60 days for individuals and businesses unable to file on time based on compliance with public health requirements related to COVID-19 filings;
- Directs residents to follow public health directives and guidance, including to cancel large non-essential gatherings that do not meet state criteria (non-essential gatherings must be limited to no more than 250 people, while smaller events can proceed only if the organizers can implement social distancing of 6 feet per person. Gatherings of individuals who are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should be limited to no more than 10 people, while also following social distancing guidelines);
- Empowers the state of California to take over hotels, motels, and medical facilities in order to quarantine, isolate or treat Coronavirus patients;
- Readies the state to commandeer property for temporary residences and medical facilities for quarantining, isolating or treating individuals.
State & Federal Updates on COVID-19:
- White House Coronavirus Guidelines
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention updates on COVID-19
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention tips on prevention
- California Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response, a comprehensive and consumer-friendly website for COVID-19 updates from the state of California
- California Department of Public Health updates on COVID-19
- Senate Democrats Focus Page for resources and guidance on COVID-19
State Resources for Employers & Employees:
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention interim guidance for Businesses and Employers
- U.S. Department of Labor resources for employers and employees
- Cal/Osha guidance on requirement to protect workers from COVID-19
- Labor & Workforce Development Agency resources for employers and employees
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development resources for employers and employees
- California Employment Development Department disability/paid family leave benefits & unemployment insurance benefits for COVID-19
State & Federal Resources for Small Businesses:
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Loan Program provides low-interest disaster loans to help businesses and homeowners recovery from declared disasters.
- U.S. Small Business Administration Economic Injury Disaster Loans help businesses directly and indirectly impacted by the disaster. Loans are limited to $2 million or less.
Resources for California Schools:
- California Department of Education COVID-19 updates
State Services Impacted by COVID-19:
- California Department of Motor Vehicles is allowing customers avoid coming to a DMV office for 60 days. Customers whose transactions require an in-office visit will be served on an appointment only basis. In the meantime, many services are being offered online.
- Announcement: The upcoming deadline for Real ID has been suspended. The new deadline will be posted once it’s announced.
Local Updates for Orange County Agencies:
- Until further notice, physical access to all Orange County Assessor office locations (Orange, Mission Viejo, and Civic Center-Santa Ana) will be temporarily closed to the public effective Tuesday, March 17, 2020.
- For assistance please call their main line at (714) 8342727 or visit the website listed above.
- Court activities will be curtailed until further notice. Clients may visit the website or call (866) 901-3212 between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday – Friday.
- All of the Clerk-Recorder offices in Anaheim, Laguna Hills, Westminster and the Santa Ana Civic Center, including the Old Courthouse, are closed.
- All special Saturday openings are canceled.
- Passport application acceptance service is suspended.
- Marriage Services (licenses and ceremonies) are suspended.
- Over-the-counter Document Recording Services are suspended. All recordings may be submitted electronically or via mail.
- Attorney service document recording drop-offs and pick-ups are suspended.
Behavioral Health Services
- Community trainings (i.e. Mental Health First Aid and Crisis Intervention Training) are suspended.
- Clients are being screened for symptoms and any client who presents with symptoms is being re-scheduled and referred for a medical appointment.
- Outreach & Engagement staff have suspended their participation in resource fairs.
- Office of Care Coordination
Public Health Services
- California Children Services Medical Therapy Units, which are located on school campuses, are limiting services to medically urgent appointments.
Regulatory/Medical Health Services
- Several hospital food facility inspections have been postponed to minimize operational impact to hospitals.
- Human Resource Services (HRS) is significantly reducing and might eliminate in-person testing for candidates currently in the hiring process. HRS will work to accommodate candidates who do not have access to online systems.
- HRS is exploring significantly speeding up the hiring process as allowed per the emergency orders, especially for OC Health Care Agency.
- The shelter in Tustin is closed to the general public effective March 16 to March 31, 2020.
- Owner surrenders are limited to emergencies only.
- Adoptions/rescues/fostering & pet redemptions will be by appointment only.
- Field Services will be limited to essential services only.
- In-person licensing services are suspended.
- The senior meal program will change to one or two deliveries per week, with 21 meals dropped off.
- Congregate meal sites are canceled, but brown bag pick-up is open five days a week.
- Senior home assessments have been waived. New clients in need of food will be registered over the phone and granted conditional eligibility to be able to start receiving meals immediately.
- Veterans Services Office is open by appointment only.
- All face-to-face office visits are suspended starting March 16, 2020.
- All annual inspections will be rescheduled and postponed starting March 16, 2020.
- New lease inspections will continue as the units are vacant. All communication with the owner or tenant will be via email/phone calls.
- Special inspection will be delayed unless it is essential to the health and safety of the tenant.
- Face-to-face and in-person meetings are suspended.
- Affordable housing monitoring inspections will be rescheduled.
- Outdoor spaces at OC Parks and restrooms are open.
- Wilderness parks (weather permitting) and beaches are open.
- All interior buildings and the OC Zoo are closed.
- All events/programs and third-party reservations canceled through April 5, 2020.
- New reservations and permits are suspended.
- The following regional parks will be closed to vehicular traffic beginning Wednesday, March 18, 2020: Carbon Canyon, Clark, Craig, Irvine, Laguna and Yorba and Wieder, Mason, Mile Square, Tri-City, Niguel regional parks.
- All library branches are closed effective March 16, 2020, through March 31, 2020. Additionally, all library programs, events, classes are cancelled through April 30th.
- Library eResources (eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines, music, movies, etc.) are available 24/7 at www.ocpl.org/elib.
- For general reference questions can be answered by contacting any library branch, Monday – Thursday, 10am-5pm. After hours questions can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- OC Waste & Recycling’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers (HHWCCs) will remain in operation for drop-off only of household hazardous waste. The Materials Exchange Programs, located at the HHWCCs, will be temporarily closed from March 17, 2020 through March 31, 2020 to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- Office is currently closed. Orange County residents may email email@example.com or call (714) 645-3844.
- The Orange County Probation Department is continuing the suspension of visitation until further notice at Orange County Juvenile Hall, Youth Leadership Academy and Youth Guidance Center. ONLY attorney and professional visits will be allowed during this period.
- Clients who were recently released from custody need to call (714) 569-2000 and ask for the Officer of the Day for direction and resources.
- Out of custody clients have been notified via website to contact their attorneys to see if they can give 977 authority for the attorney to appear on their behalf, removing the need to appear in court themselves.
- Public lobby is closed effective immediately
- ROV is working with the California Secretary of State regarding protocols for upcoming elections at this time
- All phone operations (including all supported languages – Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese and Spanish) are available 714-567-7600 for any assistance.
- Effective March 17, 2020, through March 31, 2020, Materials Exchange Programs at OC Waste & Recycling’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers will be closed.
- The public can use the online services portal for a variety of service needs that include, but not limited to, permit applications, plan check reviews/status, inspections requests, payments online, as staff continue working to process requests in a timely manner. Some extended plan check timelines may be expected during this time.
- Additionally, OCPW’s OC Development Services teams will still be available via phone at 714 667-8888.
- or via phone at 714-955-0100.myOCeServices.ocgov.comThe Agricultural Commissioner’s office public counter is closed until further notice and the public is directed to obtain services through
- The front lobby of all Sheriff’s Department buildings and contract city police services substations are closed to the public.
- All volunteer programs are suspended; this includes senior programs in contract cities and those provided by jail volunteers. Jail programs provided by staff will continue.
- Patrol deputies have been directed to use discretion in responding to calls for service that require social contact. Where possible, deputies will call reporting parties and take necessary reports over the phone.
- Community service officers and motor deputies will not respond to non-injury traffic collisions unless vehicles are disabled in the roadway or creating a hazard.
- Public jail visiting is suspended, and inmates are provided two free five-minute phone calls per week.
- All training at the Sheriff’s Regional Training Academy is suspended.
- The Social Services Agency (SSA) has closed the following offices: Aliso Viejo Regional Center, Anaheim Regional Center, Central Regional Office, County Community Service Center, Cypress Regional Center, Garden Grove Regional Center, Laguna Hills Regional Center, Santa Ana Regional Center, Warner.
- While offices are closed to the general public at this time, staff is still onsite.
- Clients may apply for Medi-Cal, CalFresh and CalWORKs benefits, review case information, request a replacement benefits card and submit verifications, by visiting http://www.mybenefitscalwin.org or calling SSA’s Service Center at (800) 281-9799.
- Clients may apply for General Relief benefits, by calling (800) 281-9799 or by faxing an application to (714) 825-3155.
- Clients may apply for In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) or ask questions related to ongoing IHSS cases, by calling (714) 825-3000.
- The County Service Center is closed and cannot accept in-person tax payments at this time.
- Constituents can go can email firstname.lastname@example.org for all property tax related questions.
- A call center for property tax payments is available 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday at 714-834-3411.
- Constituents may email email@example.com for all other questions.
- Should you have questions, please contact the County of Orange Public Information Hotline at (714) 628-7085.
Local Resources for Senate District 34
The Orange County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) functions as the communication and coordination center for both the County and Operational Area emergency response organization.
- Orange County Public Healthcare Agency
- Anaheim COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Fountain Valley COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Garden Grove COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Huntington Beach COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Los Alamitos COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Orange COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Rossmoor News & Announcements
- Santa Ana COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Seal Beach COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- Westminster COVID-19 Updates & Resources
Los Angeles County
Los Angeles County Response to COVID-19
- Long Beach Health & Human Services COVID-19 Updates & Resources