State Senator Lou Correa was elected to the 34th Senate District in 2006 and reelected for a second and final term in 2010, representing Anaheim, Buena Park, Fullerton, Garden Grove, Santa Ana, Stanton and Westminster.
Senator Correa currently serves in the following Senate committees:
- California- Mexico Cooperation (Chair)
- Climate Change and AB 32 Implementation (Member)
- Autism (ASD) and Related Spectrum Disorders (Member)
- Member of California Crime Victims Memorial Review Committee
- Member of Mental Health Service Oversight and Accountability Commission
In 2004, Mr. Correa was elected to the Orange County Board of Supervisors, representing central OrangeCounty. Prior to his election to the Board of Supervisors, he served as a State Assemblymember from 1998 to 2004 representing the 69th District.
In recognition of his hard work and strong commitment to his constituents, Mr. Correa has received numerous awards including:
Legislator of the Year:
- League of California Cities Legislator of the Year (2014)
- Legislative Partnership Award (2013), Orange County Asian Pacific Islander Community Allicance
- Mickey Conroy Legislator of the Year, 2012, California State Commanders Veterans Council. This award is given in recognition for leadership and contributions to California's active-duty military, National Guard, reserves, and veterans.
- American Veterans (AMVETS) of California, 2011
- American Electronics Association (Senator Correa has received this honor two times)
- Apartment Association of Orange County
- Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Orange CountyArea Council
- California Association of County Veteran Service Officers, Inc.
- California Coalition of Nurse Practitioners
- California Hispanic Chambers of Commerce (Senator Correa has received this honor two times)
- California Optometric Association
- California Senior Legislature
- California Small Business Association (CSBA) and California Small Business Roundtable (CSBRT)
- CaliforniaState Firefighters’ Association
- California Sexual Assault Investigators Association
- Crime Victims United of California (Senator Correa has received this honor four times)
- Easter Seals Disability Services Senate Outstanding Advocate of the Year (2011)
- GoldenState Mobile Home Owners League
- Peace Officers Research Association of California
- The American Legion, Department of California
- Veterans of Foreign Wars, Department of California
- Vietnam Veterans of America, California State Council
Other honors received (Presenting Organization):
- Orange County Taxpayers Association "Rose Award" for protecting taxpayers (2014)
- Disability Rights California Award for working to advance and protect the rights of Californians with disabilities (2014).
- Legislative Leadership Award 2014 (California Product Stewardship Council)
- California Rifle and Pistol Association, Outstanding Legislator Award (2011)
- California Senior Legislature 2009 Henry J. Mello Award for dedication and continuos contributions to California Senior citizens.
- Civil Justice Leader Award (Civil Justice Association of California)
- California Hospital Association (CHA) Health Care Champion Award
- California Metals Association
- Building Bridges to Fill America’s Promise Award (Orange County Asian and Pacific Islander Community Alliance)
- Charles Dick Medal of Merit (National Guard Association of the United States)
- Cultural Diversity Award (St. Anselm’s Cross-Cultural Community Center)
- Golden Hat Award (Vietnamese Professional Society)
- Hunger Fighter Award (California Hunger Coalition)
- Superintendent's Bravo! Award (Santa Ana Unified School District)
Long active in community affairs, Senator Correa’s passions include providing healthcare for children and mental healthcare services for our communities, as well as ensuring the affordability of higher education for all Californians.
Mr. Correa is a product of the Anaheim public school system, where he attended Benjamin Franklin Elementary, Fremont Junior High and AnaheimHigh School. He holds degrees in Economics from CaliforniaStateUniversity, Fullerton, and a Juris Doctor (JD) and Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
Mr. Correa has served on the Board of the Orange County Community Development Council, the county’s anti-poverty council, the California Small Business Board, and the Orange County Boy Scouts. Prior to serving in the California State Legislature, he was an investment banker and a real estate broker. Mr. Correa is licensed with the California Real Estate Board and the California State Bar.
Senator Correa lives in Santa Ana with his wife and their four children.